Saturday, September 30, 2017

Types of Leather

Hi! I went to Tandy Leather Factory today (very dangerous place for my wallet lol) I picked up some new leather, and I thought it might be worthwhile to share my opinion/information on leather for any aspiring tack makers out there. I have 4 leathers to show you today;
4 leathers with the same two dyes on them (Mahogany and Show Brown)

Sheepskin, I try to skive off the second layer, it will sometimes separate when dyeing or even cutting/gluing
It is by far my least favorite leather.

Milled Single Shoulder leather (cow), it is heavier, I will use this
on the outer saddle flaps to imitate Buffalo leather,
it has a heavy grain that would not be suitable for bridles
or finer grain imitation.

Old World Belly leather (cow), very thin, I will use this for outer
flaps and skirting leather. It is very nice to handle.




I wanted to document my observations on the leather, for myself and anyone else who would like to use this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pony Express

I am a huge fan of purchasing horses online, model horses that is. I am expecting Archer (Artist Resin by Trish Forsyth), Cloud Nine from pr...